Two days late! How’s that for theme-appropriate? I should just pretend I did that on purpose, to get you thinking about the importance of time, viz. how annoying it is that I haven’t posted my songlist yet. But no, this blog is not for lying. I don’t tell you everything, but I don’t tell you anything that doesn’t at least seem true while I’m writing it.
So, time. For me it means change, whether personal or social, so it’s kind of about history, one way or another. That’s what I kept in mind while cutting my giant songlist down to the size of one CD. A lot of them turned out to be about hope or nostalgia or sorrow. Let’s see what we ended up with.
- Ashes to Ashes / David Bowie
- Between the Wars / Billy Bragg
- Collapsing Plateaus: Notes for a Future Archeologist / Aveo
- (Ein Jahr) Est Geht Voran / Fehlfarben
- In This Place / Big Country
- L’histoire Continue / Noyau Dur
- One More Time / The Clash
- Be Still / The Fat Lady Sings
- Forever Young / Alphaville
- I Still Remember / Bloc Party
- Lifetime Piling Up / Talking Heads
- Whenever, Wherever / Shakira
- Over and Done With / The Proclaimers
- Pencil Thin Mustache / Jimmy Buffett
- One Fine Day / Natalie Merchant
- This Is the Day / The The (it’s on Soul Mining)
- Time of Your Life / Green Day (for the record, I liked this before it was the Seinfeld song)
- Veinte Anos / Buena Vista Social Club
- Time / Tom Waits
- With Tomorrow / This Mortal Coil
- Wait for Me / Hall & Oates
As always, copies available on request (Vicki, I still don’t have your address for the “Love Is All Around/Maddy’s Mix” CDs).
Song du jour of the day is Wait for Me, by Hall & Oates: what you had to do to get the songlist, ha!